A Ruler may ascend to the Pantheon by conquering a realm, from where they may join future conquests, or oppose them. There are three types of realms:
- Story Realms tell the story of the Fourth Age of Wonders and the return of the Godir. The first chapter must be played with a Champion godir and do not allow settings beyond difficulty. There are 5 story realms to unlock and play.
- Challenge Realms have a predefined set of traits to give a unique realm to be explored and conquered. Additional ones can be unlocked by increasing the Pantheon level.
- Custom Realms allow manual choosing of the following realm traits:
Geography[edit | edit source]
The geography trait is the only mandatory realm trait and determines how many landmasses are in the realm, how are they separated from each other, and how are empires distributed on the landmasses.
|Geography trait||Landmasses||Empires per landmass||Landmass separation|
|Barren Oceans||Several||2-3||Uninhabitable Desert|
|Scarred Divide||Two||Half||Desolate Ocean|
Climate[edit | edit source]
The climate trait determines which provinces and province features are common, which are rare, and which are absent.
|Desert Realm||Desert provinces||Forest province features||
|Forming Realm||Desolate provinces|
|Overgrown Realm||Forest province features||
|Scorched Climate||Desolate provinces||
Inhabitants[edit | edit source]
The inhabitants trait determines the composition of independent armies.
|Astral Invaders||Mana resource nodes and pickups are defended by Ethereal Astral Sea monsters|
|Demonic Realm||Fiend units are common|
|Dragon Territories||Dragon infestations are common|
|Immortal Spirits||Ethereal units are common|
|Lingering Creators||Giant and Ogre units are common|
|Low Population||Free Cities are rare|
|Magic Origins||Magic origins units are common|
|Megafauna||Animal units are common and Marauder animal units gain Empowered Beasts|
|Peaceful Lands||Animal, Fey and Plant units are common|
|Rampant Flora||Plant units are common|
|Rampant Undeath||Undead units are common|
|Wildlands||Animal units and infestations are common and Constructed Ancient Wonders are absent|
Presence[edit | edit source]
The presence trait adds powerful developed empires to the realm. Almost all presence traits must be unlocked by reaching the required Pantheon level.
|Presence trait||Effects||Required pantheon Level|
|Domain of the Frost Queen||
Misc[edit | edit source]
Each realm can have up to 4 misc traits, which apply a variety of effects that adjust the game rules or otherwise provide twists to the realm.
Environmental effects[edit | edit source]
|Domain of Mayhem||
Free city modifiers[edit | edit source]
|Free city modifier||Effects|
|Distrusting Locals||-3 Whispering Stone Strength|
|Might Makes Right||
|No Free Cities||Free Cities are absent|
Rule modifiers[edit | edit source]
|Deathcasting||Units grant their owner +10 Combat Casting Points on death|
|Disdain for Evil||All empires gain Grievances against empires with Evil Alignment|
|Megacities||Cannot absorb, migrate or settle new Cities|
Cities can perform Province Annexation +5 provinces further away
|No Respite||Empire units suffer No Respite|
|Regenerating Infestations||Infestation emerge in unoccupied provinces every 10 turns|
|Underground Start||Each Throne City is placed Underground|
|Unlimited Power||Can cast multiple combat spells per turn|
Combat spells cost +200% Mana
Unit modifiers[edit | edit source]
|Curse of Undeath||
||Curse of Undeath|
Story[edit | edit source]
- Initiation Realm: Fields of Rebirth
- Rise of the Godir
- Story Realm 1: Valley of Wonders
- Story Realm 2: Enchanted Archipelago
- Story Realm 3: Crimson Caldera
- Story Realm 4: The Eternal Court
- Story Realm 5: Grexolis
The following traits are only present in certain story realms and cannot be added to custom realms.
||Fields of Rebirth|
||Valley of Wonders|
Realm Settings[edit | edit source]
Realm settings determine how each game will play out. It includes the following settings:
- Player Distance determines the distance between each Throne City. Together with the Players setting it determines the size of the map.
- Players determines the number of empires in the game. Together with the Player Distance setting it determines the size of the map.
- Turn System has two settings. When set to Classic Turns, all empires act in order. When set to Simultaneous Turns, all empires act at the same time. Simultaneous Turns are not available if a player controls multiple empires.
Advanced Settings[edit | edit source]
- Custom Rulers allows or disallows the AI from using custom empires.
- Teams enables the team setting for each empire and disables most diplomacy between empires. Empires on the same team will be in a permanent alliance while empires on different team will be in a permanent war.